Reducing a Criminal Charge to a Lesser Charge

After being arrested, a person is told what they are being charged with. The charges a person faces, depending on the reason for their arrest, can be a misdemeanor or a felony. Misdemeanors are typically lesser charges, though they can include jail time, fines, and other punishments. Felonies are more serious and can involve a significant amount of jail time, the loss of the person’s rights, and other penalties that can impact the person’s entire life.

A person who is charged with any crime has the chance to speak with an attorney about their situation. They will need to be honest with the attorney about what actually happened even if they are guilty of the crime they’re accused of. Many times, the attorney will not be able to have the charges dismissed, so they might look into helping the person obtain a plea deal instead of going to trial where they risk being found guilty. A plea deal will reduce the charge to a lesser charge that doesn’t include the most serious possible penalties for the person.

If the person decides to accept a plea deal, they might be able to change a misdemeanor to a lesser misdemeanor with fewer penalties or to a ticket that won’t go on their criminal record. If they are charged with a felony, they might be able to accept a plea deal that allows them to plead guilty to a misdemeanor instead of the felony so they can preserve their rights. They will still have a criminal record, but it won’t have as much of an impact on their future. The attorney will review what they’re currently facing and what the plea deal includes so the person has the chance to determine if this is the right move for them.

If you’ve been arrested and are facing misdemeanor or felony charges, make sure you contact a criminal defense Attorney as quickly as possible. If the charges cannot be dismissed, you still may be able to accept a plea deal that will reduce the criminal charges you’re facing to lesser charges and allow you to avoid serious penalties. Talk to an attorney today to learn more about your specific situation and get the advice you need.